A Piano Stool Restoration
This poor piano stool had been really really overworked & had seen much better days. Also, someone had previously done a fix-up hack job on it.
I got it barely holding itself together & posing a serious threat to the young pianist that loved it so much.
I could see that it required a complete re-build so I set about carefully dismantling it and did all of the following:
- labelled up all the joints
- sanded & cleaned up all the old varnish finish
- glued up all the cracks
- filling all chipped broken pieces
- re-fitted all the joinery
- re-cut both dowels & re-boring mortices
- re-shaped 2 elements that were cracked beyond repair
- re-fitted all the pieces
- re-glued & clamped up everything
- & finished it with a good quality replenishing oil to bring out the beautiful natural grain.
Finally the new seat went off to our upholsterer for some brand new foam & fabric. The result speaks for itself I think. A piano stool that can be passed on in the family for generations to come.